Winter can be a tough time of year on the skin. The cold air, wind, and indoor heat can all wreak havoc. There are ways to combat this, however. Here are some tips that will help keep your skin hydrated and looking great this season:
• Limit time in the shower. Long showers can strip the skin of natural, necessary oils. This can leave the skin dry, cracked, and irritated (especially for those who suffer from eczema, psoriasis, or rosacea).
• When bathing or showering, use warm or lukewarm water instead of hot. The warmer the water, the more likely it can irritate the skin.
• Limit the time bathing or showering. Prolonged exposure to water can dry out the skin.
• After bathing or showering, pat your skin dry with a towel, don’t rub.
• Apply a moisturizer while your skin is still moist. This helps to lock in moisture and prevent drying of the skin.
• Apply sunscreen to exposed areas of skin. Even if it’s not sunny out, harmful UVA rays are still prevalent.
• Use a humidifier. Adds moisture to the air preventing the skin from drying out.
• Get a HydraFacial. The drying effects of the weather can make skin look dull. The HydraFacial will give it a needed boost of hydration.
If the winter weather is giving your skin trouble, contact our office today and let us help.
With the recent success of Todd Phillips’ Joker, it’s inevitable that more people will be wearing makeup for Halloween this year. However, it’s important to understand that when wearing makeup, proper skin care and product use is important throughout the application process. Below, is a step by step guide to help.
STEP 1: CLEANSE
Start out by cleansing the area where the makeup will be applied. We recommend using Skinceuticals Gentle Cleanser. This mild cleanser is effective in removing any excess oil or impurities, leaving the skin perfectly prepped for later applying the makeup.
STEP 2: MOISTURIZE
Next, moisturize. Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel is a great option, as the combination of hyaluronic acid and Vitamin B5 works wonderfully to enhance the skin’s moisture.
STEP 3: APPLY A PRIMER
Using a primer will help prevent makeup from fading throughout the night. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is a perfect choice. A lightweight formulation that avoids all the ingredients that can clog pores and cause breakouts. It also does a good job preventing dryness by helping the skin retain moisture.
STEP 4: APPLY MAKEUP
Whatever type of makeup your costume requires, make sure you are cognizant of the ingredients. Those containing artificial or synthetic fragrances, parabens or oxybenzone can be unsafe for your skin. Usually, the better the quality of the makeup, the better it will be. The Mehron Special FX Makeup Kit is the cream of the crop and a great option.
STEP 5: REMOVE MAKEUP
Initially, try makeup removing wipes. This should remove a majority of makeup. We suggest Honest Beauty Refreshingly Clean Makeup Remover Wipes. Then to get rid of the remaining, use a cleanser. Skinceuticals Simply Clean is the best one for this step.
STEP 6: MOISTURIZE AGAIN
This time moisturizing, you can either use Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel again or Skinceuticals Daily Moisture. Both are good options to keep your skin hydrated.
As evidenced above, when applying makeup to your skin, it’s no laughing matter. Whether it be for Halloween or just a night out, these steps will help keep your skin looking it’s best.
With the 10th anniversary of Michael Jackson’s death this past June, many throughout the world celebrated the legacy of the “King of Pop.” He was a transcendent, entertainment icon whose incredible talent and eccentric lifestyle made him a regular focus of the tabloids.
Although he may have been most well known for his music, his constantly evolving skin tone garnered almost as much attention. According to Jackson, in a 1993 interview with Oprah Winfrey, his changing skin tone was attributed to a condition called vitiligo.
Vitiligo is a rare skin disorder (affecting less than 2% of the population) that causes de-pigmentation on areas of the skin. Usually developing small in size, it occurs when the cells responsible for skin pigmentation die or are unable to function properly. Vitiligo can occur at any age and typically worsens over time. Although the cause is unknown, some believe that it can be linked to genetics or stress.
In Michael Jackson’s situation, it first presented itself in the early 1980s. According to a longtime friend, he started wearing his signature sequin glove on his right hand to hide the early signs of the condition. In the years following, as the condition became more noticeable, he received a lot of criticism and ridicule. Which is unfortunately all too common for those who suffer from vitiligo, due to society’s lack of knowledge about it. This can lead to serious psychological effects, causing sufferers to take desperate measures to hide their symptoms.
Although vitiligo affects all skin tones and types, it is obviously more observable the darker the skin. Currently, there is no cure for vitiligo, but there are many different treatment options available. Contact our office today if you believe you may have vitiligo.
As discussed in a previous post, hyaluronic acid is important to maintaining youthful-looking skin. Skinceuticals understands the importance of this, and has a number of products containing the popular skin care ingredient. Below are all the products from the line that do.
• Phyto Corrective Gel – A hydrating soothing gel serum with botanical ingredients ideal to calm and hydrate skin while improving visual redness
• HA Intensifier – A multi-functional corrective serum to help amplify skin’s hyaluronic acid levels
• Hydrating B5 Gel – An oil free hydrating serum replenishes moisture and restores radiance for a smoother complexion
• Retexturizing Activator – This oil-free serum gently exfoliates skin and replenishes moisture for radiant, smooth, skin
Each of these products provide all skin types with long-lasting moisture. Ideal for daytime and nighttime use, these products smooth skin texture and plump up the appearance of skin. To find out which one would be best for your skin type, contact our office.
Looking to improve the look and appearance of your skin? A chemical peel can do just that! In this treatment, a chemical solution is gently applied to the skin causing it to exfoliate and peel off. The newly regenerated skin is typically smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
There are a number of different chemical peels that we offer and they include:
If you would like to learn more about chemical peels and if one may be right for you, schedule an appointment today with our aesthetician Lauren.
Source: American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS)