• When applying sunscreens, layering does not give added SPF protection. The SPF you end up with is only the SPF of the highest sunscreen you applied. For example, if you apply a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 then apply one with an SPF of 25, you will solely have the protection of the SPF of 30.
• The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) does recommend applying two layers of sunscreen on all exposed areas though. The second layer should be applied about 30 minutes after the first, at least 30 minutes before sun exposure.
• Reapply sunscreen periodically throughout the day. It is advised to reapply every two hours or after you have been exposed to water.
• SPF protection is on a logarithmic scale. This means there is a bigger difference between SPF 25 and SPF 30 than there is with SPF 30 and SPF 45.
• SPF’s below 15 are essentially worthless. We recommend an SPF of at least 50 to all of our patients.
• Don’t forget your lips. The sun’s rays can dry delicate lip tissue. Keep your lips hydrated by using a lip balm with an SPF.
• After a long day out in the sun take a cold shower. It can decrease acne breakouts and helps to better hydrate your skin.
• If you do contract sunburn take Advil or Motrin. This will help to block the inflammation and can actually lessen the burn itself.Remember these tips to keep your skin healthy this holiday weekend and beyond!
Due to the spread of COVID-19, the CDC made a recent recommendation that everyone should be wearing face masks in public. Although face masks provide important protection from the virus, wearing them for an extended period can also lead to skin irritation. Here are some things you can do to avoid that.
If you are already noticing skin irritation due to wearing a facemask, try to identify the cause and take the above tips into consideration. If the condition still does not improve, contact our office right away.
Source: Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
All of a sudden you have a lot more time on your hands. What should you do? Watch more news? Binge-watch ‘Tiger King’ on Netflix? Or focus on your skin and give it the TLC it deserves? We personally like the last option. So, here are some simple, but yet important, skincare tips that you can do in the comfort of your own home:
• Cleanse Your Face. SkinCeuticals makes great cleansers! We recommend the Gentle Cleanser, Simply Clean or the LHA Cleansing Gel (depending on your skin type).
• Exfoliate After Cleansing. Doing this after cleansing provides you with a clean base to work with. Thus, making it easier to unclog pores, prevent acne, and remove dead skin cells.
• Use a Moisturizer. It helps to lock in moisture which in turn prevents the skin from drying out. It’s important to do AFTER cleansing and exfoliating.
• Get a Good Night’s Sleep. Last but certainly not least! Not getting enough sleep can actually cause inflammation in the skin, increasing the risk of flare-ups in conditions such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis. The National Sleep Foundation recommends anywhere between 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night.
Follow these tips and your skin will benefit. Not to mention, it is so simple, there will be plenty of time left to binge-watch ‘Tiger King’ if you so wish!
Although the use of hand sanitizers and soap should already be part of a healthy routine, the current threat of coronavirus (COVID-19) has increased use significantly. All you need to do is look at the store shelves where they’re stocked to know that. The demand has been so high in fact, that Amazon and eBay have put restrictions on the sale of these products in an attempt to prevent price gouging. So, with using hand sanitizers and soap more frequently, what can you do to protect the skin on your hands?
• Moisturize immediately after use. This is especially true for hand sanitizers that contain alcohol (a drying ingredient in itself). Cream or lotion-based moisturizers are the best options.
• Avoid products containing fragrances, perfumes or dyes. Instead, opt for products that contain vitamin E and aloe.
• Limit hand washing to 20 seconds, no more. The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) recommends this timeframe. Any longer poses the risk of drying the skin out.
• When washing, avoid water that is too hot or cold. Use lukewarm water.
With or without an epidemic, regular hand sanitizer and soap use are important to prevent the spread of germs. Combining that with the above tips will help the health of your skin.
Sources: American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
With the recent success of Todd Phillips’ Joker, it’s inevitable that more people will be wearing makeup for Halloween this year. However, it’s important to understand that when wearing makeup, proper skin care and product use is important throughout the application process. Below, is a step by step guide to help.
STEP 1: CLEANSE
Start out by cleansing the area where the makeup will be applied. We recommend using Skinceuticals Gentle Cleanser. This mild cleanser is effective in removing any excess oil or impurities, leaving the skin perfectly prepped for later applying the makeup.
STEP 2: MOISTURIZE
Next, moisturize. Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel is a great option, as the combination of hyaluronic acid and Vitamin B5 works wonderfully to enhance the skin’s moisture.
STEP 3: APPLY A PRIMER
Using a primer will help prevent makeup from fading throughout the night. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is a perfect choice. A lightweight formulation that avoids all the ingredients that can clog pores and cause breakouts. It also does a good job preventing dryness by helping the skin retain moisture.
STEP 4: APPLY MAKEUP
Whatever type of makeup your costume requires, make sure you are cognizant of the ingredients. Those containing artificial or synthetic fragrances, parabens or oxybenzone can be unsafe for your skin. Usually, the better the quality of the makeup, the better it will be. The Mehron Special FX Makeup Kit is the cream of the crop and a great option.
STEP 5: REMOVE MAKEUP
Initially, try makeup removing wipes. This should remove a majority of makeup. We suggest Honest Beauty Refreshingly Clean Makeup Remover Wipes. Then to get rid of the remaining, use a cleanser. Skinceuticals Simply Clean is the best one for this step.
STEP 6: MOISTURIZE AGAIN
This time moisturizing, you can either use Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel again or Skinceuticals Daily Moisture. Both are good options to keep your skin hydrated.
As evidenced above, when applying makeup to your skin, it’s no laughing matter. Whether it be for Halloween or just a night out, these steps will help keep your skin looking it’s best.