Having beautiful looking nails is important to a lot of people. And for good reason. I mean who doesn’t want to show off a nice set of freshly manicured nails on their Insta? Aside from just the look, their overall health is just as important. This is why proper care and maintenance is crucial.
Here are some tips that will help keep your nails healthy and looking their best:
• Leave nails clean and dry to prevent bacteria, fungi, and other organisms from collecting under the nail.
• Use moisturizer. When you use hand lotion, rub the lotion into your fingernails and cuticles, too.
• Trim and file your fingernails regularly. Cut your fingernails and toenails straight across and rounded slightly in the center. This keeps your nails strong and helps avoid ingrown toenails.
• When toenails are thick and difficult to cut, soak feet in warm salt water (one teaspoon of salt per pint of water) for five to ten minutes, then apply urea or lactic acid cream. This softens the nails, making them easier to trim.
• Wear proper-fitting shoes and try to alternate shoes on a regular basis (tight shoes can cause ingrown toenails).
• Do not try to self-treat ingrown toenails, especially if they are infected.
• Do not bite your fingernails. This can cause damage to the skin around your fingers, allowing infections to enter.
If you follow these tips and still notice nail problems, contact our office immediately, as this may be a sign of a serious health condition.