Effecting nearly 50 million Americans, acne is the most common skin condition. With June being Acne Awareness Month, there was no better time for us to offer our popular Acne Facial for a discounted rate of only $59.
The treatment is a deep, thorough cleansing and extraction to break down impurities, sebum, dead skin cells, and blackheads. An ideal treatment for teens or anybody with stubborn active acne.
If you would like to learn more about the Acne Facial or would like to schedule an appointment contact our office today!
Having a beard may be a good way to disguise acne on the lower part of the face, but did you know it can actually worsen it? That’s right, facial hair can affect acne. Some ways include:
• Food and dirt can get clogged in the hair leading to bacteria forming and causing infections.
• Sweat and oil from the skin can get trapped in the hair and lead to blocked pores.
• Ingrown hairs are common among beard wearers and another reason that pores can become clogged and infected.
Now don’t grab that razor just yet! There are some things you can do to reduce the effects. They are as follows:
• Keep the beard well trimmed to prevent ingrown hairs. Focus on areas where food or dirt may be lingering.
• When trimming, shave lightly in one direction to avoid cutting the skin or stretching it out. This can further aggravate acne.
• Wash the beard thoroughly each day and rinse it well to remove cleansers which can clog pores.
• Test a variety of shaving creams, shavers, and after shave products to determine which is best for your skin in particular.
• Avoid thick shaving creams which can cause pores to become clogged.
Even though having a beard can adversely impact the skin, there are ways to manage and minimize the effects. If you are still having trouble with facial acne though, contact our office.
So you picked up a Clarisonic Mia 2 from our office and now you’re wondering exactly how to clean the brush head. Here are some great tips from Dr. Robb on how to do just that:
1) Remove brush head by gently turning counter clockwise.
2) Gently rinse brush head in warm water.
3) Apply anti-bacterial soap to the brush head to clean the bristles. If necessary rinse out the interior of the brush under the sink or shower head.
4) Reattach the brush head to the unit. You are ready to sonic cleanse again!
Source: Blog.Clarisonic.com, “Ask Dr. Robb”
Spring is almost here, and that means more time spent out in the sun. Since the sun is a major source of ultraviolet (UV) radiation, exposure to it can pose serious risks to our skin.
Although there are three types of UV rays, UVA and UVB are of the most concern. UVA rays are long wavelengths that penetrate deep into the dermis causing skin aging and wrinkles. UVB rays are shorter wavelengths that are more superficial, causing damage in the form of redness and sunburns. Both UVA and UVB rays can cause skin cancer.
The first step you can take to protect your skin from these harmful rays is to use a broad-spectrum, or full-spectrum sunscreen. Make sure it’s an SPF of at least 30, combined with ingredients titanium and zinc dioxide. Reapply every two hours.
Next, avoid the sun and seek shade when the UV rays are strongest. This usually is between 10am and 2pm.
Lastly, try taking one aspirin an hour before going out in the sun to avoid a potential burn. If you do contract a sunburn however, try taking Advil or Motrin. This will help minimize the pain and inflammation associated with the burn.
These precautions will significantly reduce your risk of developing skin cancer, while allowing for proper exposure to the sun. If you do notice anything suspicious on your skin, contact our office immediately. Early detection of skin cancer is crucial.
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body that helps retain moisture in the skin. As skin ages, the production of this natural moisturizer slows, dehydrating the skin, and causing it to lose elasticity. This is why using a product that contains hyaluronic acid is crucial in maintaining youthful-looking skin.
The PCA Skin Hyaluronic Acid Boosting Serum available at our office is a great option. Being one of the only hyaluronic acid serums for all skin types, this advanced formulation provides instant and long-lasting hydration. It does this on three levels: on the surface, deeper in the skin, and by increasing the skin’s own hyaluronic acid production. Regular use not only protects the skin’s natural collagen/elastin, but also defends against environmental damage.
To learn more about it, or any of the other skin care products containing hyaluronic acid we offer, contact our office today.